Monday 21 July 2014

A Gear necklace made with mountboard








This week I have been inspired by the Prima dies that just been released this month.
I love Gears, I do think they are great as less feminine flowers, a perfect add on to cards and layouts, but the also make lovely jewelry.

I made a similar one using the old Tim Holtz gear dies a few years a go. But as it is made out of mount board - or passepartout as it is called in some areas, the stuff used to mount art piece on frames - it tends to age fast if worn a lot.

So I decided to make a new version using the new Prima die Sizzix Bigz Die - Love Gears 659709.



I die cut several gears out of mount board. At the end I only used two designs out of the four included on the die. I attached them together with strong wet glue and I let them dry completely.

Then I used Liquid Leaf which is a high shine metallic medium and painted all over it. To distress it a bit, I added some other metallic tints using a wax from the same manufacturer.

Finally I added a chain using a jump ring and the own circle hole of each gear to unite it.


It is an statement piece, but I think it is perfect as they are all the rage now!

2 comments:

  1. Very creative idea and lovely necklace. I just love these new gear dies. They are wonderful with the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my kind of necklace! I love the industrial/steampunk look, but the hearts add a subtle bit of femininity - fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete