Monday 24 November 2014

Simple Circle Strings










My son, Aidan and I have had lots of fun this week making super-easy circle strings to decorate the house and tree with this Christmas. Aidan has been fascinated by the Big Shot for a while and so was delighted to get the chance to help me use it. At 7 he's too young to operate it without adult supervision but he was more than happy to just be in charge of handle turning whilst I handled the die and dealt with the fabric.


We used the Circles, 3/4in die to cut all of our circles and used 6 different coloured felts in total (as selected by Aidan).


Once we had a sufficiently large pile of felt circles they were then fed them under the presser foot of the sewing machine one at a time, sewing straight down the centre. The next circle was fed under just as the last stitch was made on the previous one so that they were chain pieced together.


I can't remember where I first saw the idea for these but I expect it was somewhere on Pinterest. They are so quick and easy to make and really effective, we made an 8ft or so string in little over half an hour from start to finish.


They make a great simple decoration and could even be used as a trimming to tie around gifts too. We might try a different shape and colours next time, little hexagons would look good. Aidan is hooked on making them and so by the start of December I'm expecting the inside our house to be webbed.



No comments:

Post a Comment